My Grapefruit Basil Cooler is the perfect beach cocktail to chill out with this summer. I will admit that grapefruit juice is a bold ingredient that will bring a pucker to your lips, so my double dose of citrus is smoothed out with a sweet kiss of cherry juice and simple syrup to balance out the liquor.
Sipping into summer with a poolside cocktail is the best way I know how to cool off in the Southern heat. And when fresh grapefruits hit the produce stands and markets, I break out my juicer and best bottle of gin. Garnished with a bouquet of fresh basil from my herb garden, the fragrant scent mingles on the nose with each satisfying sip.
Yes, I’ll have another, please.
- 6 ounces freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, strained
- 1 jigger (1.5 ounces) gin
- 1 jigger (1.5 ounces) citrus liqueur, such as triple sec
- ½ jigger (.75 ounces) cherry juice
- ½ jigger (.75 ounces) simple syrup (optional)
- Club soda
- 1 sprig of fresh basil, for garnish
- 3 bing cherries, for garnish
- 1 grapefruit slice, for garnish
- In a shaker with a tight-fitting lid, fill halfway with ice. Add the grapefruit juice, gin, citrus liqueur, cherry juice, and simple syrup. Shake well and strain into a 12-ounce glass filled with ice cubes. Top with club soda and stir. Garnish with fresh basil, cherries, and a grapefruit slice.
YOUR SEAT AT THE TABLE: If you like this Southern cooking story and recipe then accept my personal invitation to subscribe by entering your email at the bottom or top right of this page. It’s quick and painless. You will receive an email alert and be the first to see when new cooking stories and recipes are added. Thanks, George.