This Potato and Broccoli Soup is easy, cheesy, creamy, dreamy, and just about the most delicious bowl around.
If you’ve ever made mashed potatoes, you’re half way to one of the tastiest soups. All we’re doing here is adding aromatics, spices, chicken stock, and cream, oh, and broccoli. Yeah, it’s the fresh florets of broccoli that up the ante, and push this potato soup over the top. I like the contrasts of texture, taste, and color as the green vegetable floats on a creamy sea of potatoes. Oh, this one is calling your name.
If you’re like me, you’ll ladle up a small cup of this soup as a taste sample. And another. And another. Until you’ve finished half a pot. Yes, it is addictive and satisfying, not to mention one of the most flavor-filled combinations in your recipe arsenal.
Simmer a pot of this soup on your back burner tonight and watch your family cozy up to the stovetop time and again.
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 pounds broccoli florets
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 6 teaspoons chopped chives
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- In a large pot with a heavy lid over medium-high heat, add the butter and sauté the onion, celery, and bell pepper just until the onions turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, white pepper, and onion powder along with the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes.
- With an immersion blender (or food processor), puree the potato mixture just until creamy with some chunks still remaining. It should be a chowder-like consistency.
- Add the broccoli to the soup along with the cream. Stir together, cover, and let simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cheese and chives.
YOUR SEAT AT THE TABLE: If you like this cooking story and recipe then accept my personal invitation to subscribe by entering your email at the bottom or top right of this page. It’s quick, painless, and FREE. You will receive an email alert and be the first to see when new cooking stories and recipes are added. Thanks, George.
Barron hobbs says
Can hardly wait to prepare this soup
Maybe next Sunday for supper bowl
George Graham says
Hey Barron – Let us know how it turns out. Best to you.